** GROUP 6 COMMANDER JOB ANNOUNCEMENT **
Duty Position: Group 6 Commander
Position Number: 990600
Unit Number: SER-FL-249
Application Opening Date: 4 February 2019
Application Closing Date: 8 March 2019
Reports to: FLWG/CV, FLWG/CC
Specialty Track: Command (222)
Duty Location: Florida Wing Group 6 geographical area
Reviewing Official: Lt Col Rafael Salort,
Florida Wing Vice Commander Selecting Official: Col Luis Garcia, Florida Wing Commander
Who May Apply: ALL QUALIFIED APPLICANTS who are current active Florida Wing Members of the Civil Air Patrol and/or those eligible to become a Florida Wing Member of the Civil Air Patrol in the ranks of Capt and above. Member must reside in or close to the Group 6 geographical area.
1. Must be currently enrolled in the Command specialty track.
2. Exercise command over all units in their group.
3. Promote goals and objectives of CAP by encouraging the achievement of established goals and programs by all units, and by establishing new goals and programs within the group in support of the Corporation’s objectives.
4. Establish plans, policies, and procedures necessary to the proper conduct of group affairs that are not in conflict with national, region, and wing policies and directives.
5. Be aware of accomplishments, problems, and degree of compliance by subordinate units with policies and directives through a system of inspections, reports, and staff visits. Inform the Wing Commander and Vice Commander of progress toward achievement of objectives, notable accomplishments, problem areas, and other matters of interest.
6. Ensure safety of personnel and equipment through effective policy guidance regarding safety procedures and equipment.
7. Select and appoint high caliber group staff members and remove from group staff positions those members deemed unqualified or otherwise unsuitable to continue in their positions.
8. Coordinate with the Wing Commander and Vice Commander on the appointment of high caliber commanders of subordinate units when replacements are needed or removal of unit commanders whenever they are considered unqualified or otherwise unsuitable.
9. Refer problems that cannot be resolved at group level to the Wing Commander and Vice Commander.
10. Group commanders should be familiar with the Civil Air Patrol Constitution and Bylaws, all CAP governing directives and all policy matters affecting their command.
NOTE: Group Commanders represent the Wing Commander in their group. They are responsible to the Corporation and the Wing Commander for ensuring that corporation objectives, policies, and operational directives are effectively executed within their group.
Ideal Candidate’s Core Competencies (Recommended Qualifications):
1. Hold the CAP grade of Major or above 2. Achieved Level III of the Senior Member Professional Development Program with a SENIOR rating in Command 3. Squadron Leadership School (SLS) graduate 4. Corporate Learning Course (CLC) graduate 5. Training Leaders of Cadets (TLC) graduate 6. Unit Commander’s Course (UCC) graduate 7. Prior command experience 8. Demonstrated leadership and management abilities (experience with project management helpful) 9. Excellent organizational and communication skills 10. Working knowledge of annual budgeting requirements 11. Knowledgeable in all 3 CAP missions: Cadet Programs, Emergency Services, and Aerospace Education 12. Operational experience
1. Cover letter, signed, dated and annotated with job number and title
2. Civil Air Patrol resume
3. Professional resume
4. Unit Commander’s Endorsement (if applicable)
Applications may be sent via email to: email@example.com. Application screening will be done without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin or disability.
Applicants will be reviewed by a Selection Board appointed by the Wing Commander. Applicants may be asked to a conduct an interview. Upon notification, a mutually convenient time and place will be arranged. Necessary travel will be reimbursed by FLWG only with prior written approval of wing commander. Inquiries concerning specific aspects of the duty position should be directed to Reviewing Official.
Selection criteria are based on Civil Air Patrol training, experience, as well as, civilian education and experience related to the position.
NOTE: Include the Job Number and Job Title on your application. Incomplete applications may not be returned or acknowledged.